Pages

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Author Spotlight; Laurie Hunsaker


Welcome my lovlies. Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing the amazing Laurie Hunsaker, author of Highland Destiny. Hello there Laurie, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Why don’t you start by telling something about yourself, and your background?

Laurie: Hi! Thanks so much for having me! I started writing in elementary school where my best friend and I wrote a scary story, which I think is still at my mom’s house! I always remember writing. Maybe it tapered off during college, but getting a couple degrees and holding down two jobs really tends to cut into your free time. I have degrees in English Literature, and German with a Minor in Spanish. I taught for a few years, but writing is really my passion.


Amara: Oh, a scary story, really? I'd love to get a peek at that! What inspired you to write?

Laurie: Actually my husband did. I was complaining about a book, and said something like, “Even I can write better than this!” And he very sarcastically said, “Then do it.” So I did.


Amara: And we are all grateful you did. I love Highland Destiny. So, what have you written to date?

Laurie: I have a free short story called Amethyst Heat, There’s Highland Destiny, Highland Games. Then I have some short stories: RONE Award Honourable Mention Highlander Reborn, The Broken Highlander, and Highland Eclipse.


Amara: I really enjoyed reading your books, I'm a sucker for a hulking big Highlander! For those of us not in the know, what genre are your books, and what drew you to this genre?

Laurie: Most of my books are Scottish Time Travels, but my Nightkind stories are about Vampires...kilted vampires. ;)

I wanted to write Highlanders, but I wanted more modern heroines. Time Travels are perfect for that!


Amara: Nothing wrong with a kilted Vampire... loads of sexiness to be had! What are you working on at the minute?

Laurie: I have a couple of things. My goal is to finish up Highland Betrayal, for sure. I’m also co-writing a super secret project with a friend, and I have high hopes for it! And I have another short story I hope to have out by the end of summer.


Amara: Ooh this super secret project has piqued my interest!! And I look forward to the release of your other books. In your opinion, what is the hardest thing about writing?

Laurie: For me, it’s finding the time. With 3 kids, one of whom is a baby, I’m really limited to writing between their sports, activities, and naps.


Amara: I know exactly what you mean, I three lil darlings of my own, it isn't easy. Where do you find your inspiration? Day-dreams? Fantasies? Real life experiences?

Laurie: The simple answer? Everywhere. I hear lyrics in a song, I think of a scene. I see someone post a picture on twitter, I need to write that into a book. I don’t sleep much, and often I’m up at night plotting. There are notepads all over the house with hastily written ideas.


Amara: And on that note, how do you do your research? Leave nothing out!!

Laurie: Because I write about Scotland in a certain time, I have to look up that era, find out what was going on, not just in Scotland, but in England, on the Continent, or even in the Americas. A great example, is that I had to find out when coffee would have been exported to Scotland. Would it be out of place to have coffee at breakfast in 1792? Politically, I need to know more than just the main area of government, but I need to know what’s going on in the clans. I try to use real names, and real people so I can stick to the truth as much as possible.

I have several books on Scotland and Ireland, but I look online a lot as well. I now have a contact in Dublin who I can email if I need help with something too (he’s a history professor). My folks grab me books every time they go back to Ireland and Scotland, which is pretty much once or twice a year.


Amara: Of all the books you have written, who is your favourite character and why?

Laurie: I think I love Nevin. He’s my darkest hero so far. I don’t know why, maybe because I feel like he needs a little extra love.


Amara: If there was only one of your books you could will people to buy, which would it be?

Laurie: I think Highland Games doesn’t get enough love. I love Colm and his sense of humor.


Amara: I enjoyed his story too, we must share the love!! Where can you see yourself in five years time?

Laurie: Oh I truly hope that I will be writing full time. My youngest will be in school by that point, so I would hopefully have all day to myself!


Amara: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Laurie: Just keep writing. Whether you think you’ll ever publish it or not, just keep writing. If you stop, it’s too easy to get stuck and you find that you won’t go back to your story as often. 


Amara: Once again thank you for stopping by my dear, it has been a pleasure!





__________________________________________________________________




Blurb:
Mackenzie Stewart’s in Scotland for a much-needed vacation. During the castle tour, Mackenzie becomes completely enamored with a painting of one of the previous lairds. Two gentlemen come up behind her and, begging her pardon, they kidnap her, dragging her through time.







Blurb:
While out riding, Meg McMurray finds herself on unfamiliar lands. Gone are the long expanses of Oklahoma prairie, and in front of her are the wild Scottish Highlands. How did she come to be there, and did Aunt Gilly's amethyst ring have anything to do with it?  





Blurb:
RONE Award Honorable Mention for best short story 2013

Highlander Reborn begins in Scotland, many centuries ago, where a blacksmith fights for his life and his people. His life is forever changed when Amalia, one of the Nightkind, makes the choice to save his life. But first, he has to die...

1304…

After Nevin MacLachlan’s wife was killed by a vampire, he made it his mission to hunt them all down. But one late Highland night, in a battle he couldn’t win, one of the Nightkind ripped open his throat. With his blood draining onto the grass, the last thing Nevin sees isn’t a white light; it’s the dark of night closing in on him.

Amalia has been enamored with the blacksmith ever since he first held a stake to her heart. Watching him die was unacceptable. Will he ever forgive her for turning him into what he hates most? Nevin has lived his life alone for a reason. When Amalia walks back into his life seven centuries later asking for help, he wants nothing more but to turn his back to her. But something about her still calls to him. Some of the Nightkind in Amalia’s seethe have been killed. It’s up to her to find Nevin and ask for his help. But how can she show Nevin that she isn’t the monster he thinks she is?




Blurb:
Malcolm “Colm” MacRobert is ordered by his chief to travel through time and return with a woman. Not just any woman, the daughter of Laird and Lady Grant. There’s one problem, though. Everyone knows the Grants never had a daughter. Who is he bringing back? And why is she so important that his laird using the village witch to send Colm over 200 years into the future?

When Piper Grant agreed to take her friend’s place on a trip to Scotland, she didn’t know it was a singles tour. Desperately trying to avoid her fellow tourists, she wanders around the Highland Games being held at Blair Castle, however she can’t shake the feeling that someone’s watching her.

After one glance, Colm knows Piper is meant for him. The hard part is convincing her that he’s not crazy, and that he really needs her. Colm takes Piper with him back to 1793 Scotland hoping that she’ll eventually forgive him. With a witch aligning their fates as if pieces on a chessboard, Colm and Piper have more than their own relationship to worry about.

Can Colm win Piper’s heart, save his clan, and come out unscathed?




Blurb:
A member of an elite Time Ops team called the Eclipse Agents, Declan Wallace’s job is to jump through time. He maintains order in the timeline, he hunts down those who would time jump for their own purposes. But sometime Fate intervenes.

After a lifetime of living with illness, Lady Fiona McClure is proving to herself that she is finally healthy in an attempt to swim across the loch. If she makes it, maybe then her overprotective father won’t treat her as a child anymore. When she is snatched and dragged ashore by a man who thought she was drowning, her heart races for reasons that have nothing to do with the swim and everything to do with the man standing before her.

With a mission to finish, Declan can’t allow distractions, and Lady Fiona is definitely a distraction. But he’s discovering that living for the next mission isn’t as exciting as it used to be. Staying in the past is forbidden, but Fiona McClure is his destiny.




Blurb:
In the darkest hours after waking from death to his life as a vampire, blacksmith Nevin MacLachlan must learn to adjust to his new existence. While he adapts quickly to his enhanced senses, he hates the vampires that took everything from him. Forsaking the Nightkind, he plans to survive on his own.

No one said it would be easy.

For centuries he tries to blend in with humans, but what kind of blacksmith only works at night? After being chased from his home time and time again, Nevin no longer has compassion for the humans he once knew.

The only things keeping him from becoming completely feral are his sense of honor, and the teasing memory of the woman who changed him. With no clan to belong to, human or Nightkind, Nevin finds out survival isn’t the only thing to live for, and that eternity is a long time to hate what you’ve become.


__________________________________________________________________


Author Bio:
I am an award-winning writer who loves the idea of a hunky Highlander sweeping me off my feet. So I wrote about what I like. Luckily someone else liked it enough to publish it. I am a hybrid author being both traditionally published and self-published, as well as a member of Romance Writers of America®, Cactus Rose Chapter and the Celtic Hearts Romance Writers.

After earning my degrees in English and German, with a specialty in British Literature, I taught for a few years. As of now, I write Scottish Time Travel Romance and Paranormal Romance.

The Highland Hussy will keep writing about those hunky Highlanders as long as you guys keep reading.  Well, I’m not gonna lie to you, I’d probably write them anyways, I mean who doesn’t love a hot Scot?


Follow Laurie:

No comments:

Post a Comment