Pages

Wednesday, 6 May 2015

The biatch is back!


Once again I find myself battling the pirates of the book world, copyright infringement, and one hell of a headache!


Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. The copyright holder is typically the work's creator, or a publisher or other business to whom copyright has been assigned. Copyright holders routinely invoke legal and technological measures to prevent and penalize copyright infringement. Copyright infringement disputes are usually resolved through direct negotiation, or a notice and take down process.... 


Several months back I had my first experience in dealing with copyright infringement; or book piracy. It was not a pleasant experience, yet I got through it unscathed. This was due to the careful guidance of my fellow authors. With their help I was able to contact all parties involved, and have my work removed from the illegal downloading sites. I was pleased that things were resolved so quickly as I have heard bad experiences from other authors, specifically Indy authors, on how uncooperative and rude the admin of some pirating forums can be. My interactions had been polite, and reassurance had been given on the fact that it would not happen again. So, you can imagine my reaction when I came across my ebooks being illegally shared yet again on said sites. It was quite disheartening.

This time around I found free illegal copies of Denial (The Unrequited Trilogy #1) on four different forums, which lead to five different external downloading sites. And my latest release Betrayal (The Unrequited Trilogy #2) on one forum with two external downloading sites attached to it. It took some time but I eventually emailed every site admin, bar one. The site in question had no contact links or details at all. Luckily I was able to contact the external site, but the fact that the original forum cannot be contacted bothers me, even though I know it is pointless worrying as once the downloading links have been removed this post will be rendered nil and void. It's all just a huge time wasting pain in the ass. All I can do now is wait for a positive response from my emails.

I know there isn't much I can do to fight ebook piracy, yet what little I can do is enough to give me peace of mind. If I have to I will contact every single site admin I come across which has my work illegally shared on it. I will plea with the readers to be honest and buy their ebooks from the appropriate retailers. I would ask them all to please remember that this is the lively hood of many hard working men and women; not only authors but musicians, artists and filmakers, we are talking about. People who those involved in piracy are stealing from. Piracy is frustrating, disheartening, and cruel.  How would you feel in their shoes?



No comments:

Post a Comment