Pages

Monday, 10 April 2017

Review: The Chosen by J.R Ward


Blurb:
Xcor, leader of the Band of Bastards, convicted of treason against the Blind King, is facing a brutal interrogation and torturous death at the hands of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Yet after a life marked by cruelty and evil deeds, he accepts his soldier’s fate, his sole regret the loss of a sacred female who was never his: the Chosen Layla.

Layla alone knows the truth that will save Xcor’s life. But revealing his sacrifice and his hidden heritage will expose them both and destroy everything Layla holds dear—even her role of mother to her precious young. Torn between love and loyalty, she must summon the courage to stand up against the only family she has for the only man she will ever love. Yet even if Xcor is somehow granted a reprieve, he and Layla would have to confront a graver challenge: bridging the chasm that divides their worlds without paving the way for a future of even greater war, desolation, and death.

As a dangerous old enemy returns to Caldwell, and the identity of a new deity is revealed, nothing is certain or safe in the world of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, not even true love . . . or destinies that have long seemed set in stone.


Buy Links: Amazon US / Amazon UK


Rating: 2 Stars 


Review:
Yeah, so, unbelievably, this about sums up how I'm feeling about the latest instalment of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. . . 


As a big BDB fan, and a major Qhuay fangirl, I am honestly disappointed in this book. Now, be warned ladies and gents, I am about to go into rant mode and Spoilers are inevitable. So if you don't want to know what happens, back away from the screen, now! 

First off I'm going to address the car wreck that is my Qhuinn. What. In. The. Holy. Fuck. I am still reeling from that bullshite he pulled in the beginning of the book. It was so NOT Qhuinn. Granted the male is hotheaded and stubborn, but he loves the ever-living-hell out of both Blay and Layla, and despite his anger or insecurities he has respected them throughout the series. So, for him to go batshit crazy saying the things he did, and then pulling a gun on the mahmen of his young, while she was fecking holding them, before pointing it at his mate!! -deep breath- Did I mention that the thing went off. Shots fired!!! He broke both their hearts!! Acted like a total dickwad! And for the first time ever I wanted to reach into the book and bitch slap him. In that moment in time he totally deserved a father of the year/best husband award. So not good. I did not like that all. I hated reading every second of the Q/Blay/Layla mess up. -exhales- I cried over that shit! Angry tears! Why ruin a good thing?

Another male who was portrayed as a total dick was Tohrment. The usually level headed leader of the group. The one who hangs off his Lord's every word. He too lost his freaking mind and willingly committed Treason! Whaaaaaa... Why? There was no need. None.

In my opinion, it was out of character for both males, and totally unnecessary in the grand scheme of things. Xcor and his Band of Bastards were forgiven their indiscretions and accepted into the fold easily enough. There was no need to make Q and Tohr the bad guys in order to make readers melt for Xcor. I personally have always had a soft spot for the male, especially from the moment he refused to take Layla's vein under their tree. My love for him has bloomed. And I am sure the outcome of the story would have been the same without making Q and Tohr into a pack of asshats. 

Another thing I would like to point out is V's behaviour. -throws hands up- I really don't get it. Why put him with a mate he never seems to be happy with? How many times are V and Jane going to go through bullshite before they find their happiness, or break up!? I don't like this. We all know in reality nothing is simple. Love comes and it goes. But in the world of fictional romance, that's not the case. And with the vampires in BDB their mates are everything to them! Sacred. More important than their own lives, and even that of their young! This is something we've seen repeatedly throughout the series, more so with Z and Wrath when their shellans were pregnant, we even saw this with Q and Layla. So why is V always pouting around and causing issues with his mate? I feel for Jane, and really want to throat punch V. Ward has gone too far this time, crossed a line I refuse to go over myself. I hate a cheater. Its disgusting, and disrespectful, and nasty. The mere fact that V is contemplating cheating is a huge betrayal. So regardless of the outcome, it is not a storyline I wish to follow. I'm done with that. 

-deep breath- 

Now that I've gotten that off my chest I'll get to Xcor and Layla's relationship. I'm happy that they have finally gotten what they wanted. I like this pairing. I felt for them both. Cried for Xcor and his mistreatment in the past. Cheered when they finally got to be together. Yet, I would have wanted more for them. More romance! Where was the romance Layla waited her entire life for? I remember a time when Ward wrote an entire book about her protagonists. Now they are lucky to get half of one. There were too many side stories going on, unnecessary side stories, and it took from Xcor and Layla's story.  And to be honest, I was too busy reeling from the Brother's behaviour that I'm sure I've missed loads of good things happening between Xcor and his Chosen. They deserved better. 

Hopefully we'll see more of them in the future, yet even as I say that, I honestly doubt I'll be able to read another instalment if I'm going to get more of the same. -sighs- I'm so disappointed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment