Pages

Saturday, 3 June 2017

A Month of Romance - Jennifer Denys


Welcome, my lovelies. Today's featured romance author is none other than the amazing Jennifer Denys, author of BDSM and erotic romance.


Author Bio:
Jennifer is a bestselling author in various genre (BDSM, contemporary, sci-fi, paranormal, with historical and fantasy in her works in progress) with several different publishers. An Englishwoman through and through, she lives in a beautiful historical city and is game to try most things once. She’s had a tattoo done on her calf, flew down zip wires 100 feet up in the trees, and was photographed nude by a professional photographer. All of which have taken place since she turned 50!

Many of her experiences end up in her books… but you will have to read them to find out what!

Do contact Jennifer – she loves to hear from her fans. She posts to her blog three times a week and is on Facebook daily.

Author links:



Hi, hun. Thank you for agreeing to this interview. Why don’t you start by telling us something about yourself, and your background?
Thank you so much for inviting me onto your blog. I am a middle aged (but young at heart) Englishwoman. I live with my house rabbit (real and toys!) in a fabulous historical city. My first book was published in 2011 and I have 24 short stories, novellas and novels published since then with four publishers (Siren Publishing, Evernight Publishing, Sexy Little Pages, and Luminosity Publishing).


Toys rabbit! hehehe rawwwr. What inspired you to write?
I have been writing my whole life so can’t say what inspired me – it is just part of who I am. One of my earliest memories of writing something when I was about 14 (I am in my late 50s now!) was a play for the local kids called ‘Roberta Hood and her Merry Ladies’. I not only wrote it, I directed it, stage-managed it and, naturally, I played Roberta Hood! LOL


Wow, at 14! You're awesome! What genre are your books, and what drew you to this genre?
All my stories erotic romance but within a variety of sub-genre: BDSM, romantic comedy, sci-fi, paranormal, and fantasy, although as a reader my first love is sci-fi – but preferably with some romance in it.

As to why I write erotic romance – it was a linear journey. I was getting more and more fed up reading Mills & Boon type stories as there wasn’t enough sex in them and I gradually found the genre of erotic romance. After reading millions of stories (well, several hundred at any rate) I decided to try writing one. Before this I had tried writing one for Mills & Boon but their minimum number of words (at least then, don’t know if it still is) was 60k and I got bored very quickly. With the advent of ebooks and the novella I finally found my preferred writing length. So that, combined with finding erotic romance, was what drew me to this genre.


I have to admit, I've never read a Mills & Boon. Not sure I want to if they are lacking hot sex! Anywho, what have you written to date?
Rather than list them all by book I’ll give you a summary of the series:

Friends & Acquaintances trilogy (all novellas/MF) – very light BDSM, mostly romantic comedy about 6 friends who fall in love with people they know, which crosses over with the next series…

Doms & Acquaintances trilogy (all novellas/MF) – the remaining 3 friends (the first 3 are in the F&A series) – this is heavier BDSM, less humour. My best-selling book out of all 24 books is ‘Submissive Training’ which is in this series. I do wonder if people buy it because they think they are getting a manual?!

Alien Manhunt trilogy (winner of an Erotic Menage Romances award 2015) – all short stories/MMM (but individual books in the ‘Romance on the Go’ series for Evernight) about the same set of two alien men and one human man who fall in love but have adventures on each of their home worlds. This is the only one of my books which features the same set of main characters in each story. It was only intended to be the one book but readers said they wanted to know what happened to the characters, so it became a 3 book series.

Battle of Wills 2-parter (Retraining the Sub and Retraining the Dom – semi finalist of Evernight Readers’ awards 2013) – both BDSM/MF set in same BDSM club. I came up with the titles first – and then had to think of stories to fit the titles!

Dutoterra – just 2 written in this series set on a colony planet of Duoterra, both menage. Actually these were my first attempts at sci-fi (and also menage) as I love the idea of people adapting to a new world and the society that grows from it.

The Haunt of the Wolves (winner of an Erotic Menage Romances award 2015) – once again, just 2 written so far in this series set in a werewolf BDSM club. Both menage. I liked the idea of writing cross-genres with this one.

The Manor of Decadence – I feel like I am repeating myself, but 2 written so far in this series set in an English country manor which holds BDSM events. Both MF. I had great fun planning the grounds of this estate with cropping sessions in the stables, a sex swing in the garden and so on.


Anthologies & open submission series:
Love & Lust in Space (I edited this series and have one MF story in it called ‘The Sonic Dilda’tor’ – this is a sci-fi anthology in two halves: Futuristic Earth and Alien Worlds. My story is light and somewhat comedic in the Alien Worlds half).

Men for Hire 1 and 2 (I co-ordinated both series and have an MF story in book one called ‘Marital Duties’ which is romantic comedy). These anthologies are set in London and Men for Hire 1 was my first attempt at co-ordinating an anthology which was great fun.

Balls & Chains – I am co-ordinating this series for which anyone can submit (first time Luminosity have held an open submission series at my suggestion). I wrote the first story, which is just out, called ‘To Claim a Mate’ an MM story. This is a gay/shifter series set in a BDSM club. I would welcome any submissions for this series. Full details can be found here - http://luminositypublishing.com/submission-calls/

Individual books – The Last Werewolf (co-written with Susan Laine – MMF paranormal – we co-wrote this entirely over email!); Bounty Hunters’ Captive (sci-fi/kidnap/menage - winner of an Erotic Menage Romances award 2015); Naughty Christmas Wishes (fantasy/Menage/and lots of fun Xmas references); Dark Captive (dark romance/kidnap/BDSM/MF with a twist!).

I also write a blog and post 2-3 times a week, sometimes to promote my latest stories, sometimes for discussion topics, sometimes just to talk about me. http://jennifer-denys.blogspot.co.uk/


Wow, you really have been busy, that's an awesome book list. But, tell us, what are you working on at the minute?
I have just finished ‘To Claim a Mate’ (MM/Wolf shifter/BDSM) and it released on 12 May. It started off as a story for an anthology then I realised I was trying to write the entire romance in 8,000 words so I decided to extend it into a novella.

One of the things people say they like about my books is my ability to add comedy. So here is one of my favourite lines (I love integrating wolf behaviours into human life):

Stopping in his tracks, Cole’s hackles began to rise. A possessive instinct rose in him to fight off his rival. Except there were rules in BDSM and it didn’t include tearing out the throat of another Master.

Buy links:
Amazon UK – http://amzn.to/2pGisQ3
Amazon US – http://amzn.to/2ps6Zrj


In your opinion, what is the hardest thing about writing?
Finding time to write as I work full time and I am just too tired when I am home to think of sitting down at the computer and working.


Where do you find your inspiration?
In the bath! LOL. Or on the bus or train home or just walking home from bus stop. I find when I relax and let my mind wander I come up with all sorts of ideas (even came up with ideas on a massage table once).

Also I include many real life incidents whether it be people’s names, where they live, or things that have happened to them – many of which happened to me, eg, my experiences with a blow up sex doll, having a hot stone massage, being photographed naked for my 50th birthday, sex on the table, getting stuck in handcuffs (actually I’m not sure I’ve included that yet!).


Of all the books you have written, who is your favourite character and why? If there was only one of your books you could wish people to buy, which would it be?
I’ve joined these two questions together as I’m not sure I have a favourite character – I try to make my characters all slightly different and many of the female characters have aspects of me at different times of my life, eg, shy me, bossy me, skinny me, menopausal me and so on.

But I do have a favourite book and that is ‘Friendly Seduction’ and that’s because I had such fun taking the mickey out of my own genre! The hero is a sci-fi writer who has been told by his editor to add more sex to his stories so he enlists the help of a friend who reads erotic romances and she is telling him what she loves about these stories.

     

     She sighed. “I have clearly failed to explain that all of the guys in a ménage have to be extremely good-looking and muscular or manly at the very least.”
     He chuckled. “What about other virtues—kindness, compassion, gentleness, generosity, et cetera?”
     “Oh, the hero shows those as well but throughout the story. In the first instance she is attracted by his or their looks and their ability to dominate her. And don’t forget the importance of chemistry. Also, he never shows negative attributes like cruelty, laziness, picking his nose, having a hairy back, and so on. Those are reserved for the bad guys.”



Where can you see yourself in five years’ time?
Hopefully retired and writing full time… or living in a villa on a luxury island because people have finally discovered me and I am a best seller….!


Is there anything you would like to say, or any advice would you give, to any aspiring writers or your fans?
My advice to aspiring writers is to be aware that writing a story is not just about writing – first you have to write the story, then the next stage (equally important) is the editing, then (equally important) is the promotion. Each stage utilises different parts of the brain so it can be very difficult getting back to the creative right brain when you have been dealing with the organisational left brain.


Final question, and it’s an important one. . . Which do you prefer? Chocolate or Caramel?
CHOCOLATE! Preferably white chocolate truffles! YUM.


Ooooh Yum is right! Thank you for that, and for answering my questions!

Thanks for having me on your blog, Amara. This has been great fun. I can be found/contacted at the following places:


~~~*~~~


~Latest Release~
From the Balls & Chains series


Title of book: To Claim a Mate
Author: Jennifer Denys
Publisher: Luminosity Publishing
Genre: Contemporary, Wolf shifter, gay, BDSM
Type: Novella (21,600 words)
Sexual orientation: MM

Blurb:
Cole Linley is a gay wolf-shifter. In order to appease the Alpha within, he has taken up the BDSM lifestyle and become very experienced. This placates his wolf to a certain extent, but his dearest wish is to find a mate—male, of course. Except, the question is, how to find one in a city surrounded by humans where other wolf-shifters are rare.

Then, one night, he enters Balls & Chains, a BDSM club he frequents, and immediately senses another of his kind. And not only that, it is the scent of a potential mate, Jared Gray. There is only one problem—Jared is collared by another Master.

Jared’s relationship shows all the signs of an abusive relationship. Can Cole get him away from the other Dom and show Jared the delights of BDSM when done properly and what it means to be a beta wolf to Cole’s Alpha?

Reader Advisory: The submissive in this Gay Paranormal Romance doesn’t realize he is in an abusive relationship until he meets his true Master.

What’s hot?: Making love in the forest as wolves, then in the bed as humans.

Buy links:
Amazon UK – http://amzn.to/2pGisQ3
Amazon US – http://amzn.to/2ps6Zrj


Excerpt:
Moving on, Cole was drawn into a room which had a cross in each corner of the room with plenty of space to wield the equipment. The walls were covered with floggers of varying types, although nothing stopped a Dominant using an implement from another section.

Cole halted. He’s here.

The scent was at its strongest, practically dragging him toward a slender man in his late twenties, with brown hair the color of hazelnuts. The sub was in the process of being tied face up against a cross on the far side. His chest was bare and sleek, and he wore skin-tight jeans.

The Dom wanted to rip the man’s clothes off and devour him on the spot. So intent was he on reaching his prey, he nearly missed the Master who had finished tying the submissive and came around to inspect the restraints, standing directly between Cole and the object of his hunt.

Stopping in his tracks, Cole’s hackles began to rise. A possessive instinct rose in him to fight off his rival. Except there were rules in BDSM and it didn’t include tearing out the throat of another Master.

Andy caught up with him and saw him staring. “Who have you found? Oh, this is Master Dirk. Jared is the sub he is playing with.”

Cole took a moment to calm his inner wolf, unclenching his fists before he triggered his claws. His voice was raspy as he asked, “Are they new? I don’t recall seeing either of them here before.” Actually, he couldn’t care less about this new Master. He only had eyes for Jared.

He didn’t hear Andy’s answer, because, at that moment, he caught the gaze of the bound man. Tangible electricity crossed the room and hit Cole like a silver bullet, slamming into his heart, nearly causing him to change into his wolf in front of everyone. It took everything he knew about Dominance to keep hold of his human side and push down his animal half.

Meanwhile, the submissive’s eyes opened wide in shock, and he bit his lip. Cole’s keen wolf eyesight could detect Jared’s fierce trembling, as he tightly gripped the ropes that held him. Cole willed him to hold on and not transform in front of everyone as the two shared a look of instant attraction, desperate need, and the desire to have sex.

And yet it was more than that. So much more—an inner knowledge, assurance one has finally found one’s other half, and didn’t even know one was looking.

Taking a deep breath, Cole narrowed his eyes as he gazed on Jared, drinking in the beautiful sight before him.

He gave a slight smile of acknowledgment.

Oh yes, this is my mate. And woe betide anyone who comes between us.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me on your Month of Romance. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks new to you glad to see all the new books wow and so much to pick from with all kinds of books <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really good interview. I always find it interesting to hear where author's get their inspiration from and to know some is based in life experience makes it all the more interesting.

    ReplyDelete